The State Department on Wednesday announced a five-year extension of the New START ballistic missile treaty, cementing limits on U.S. and Russian nuclear weapon delivery mechanisms through 2026.
The treaty, which had been set to expire later this week, secures limits on both land and submarine-based ballistic missiles as well as heavy bombers. It allows for monitoring of Russian compliance while providing “greater insight into Russia’s nuclear posture, including through data exchanges and onsite inspections that allow U.S. inspectors to have eyes on Russian nuclear forces and facilities,” according to a statement from Secretary of State Antony Blinken.
The secretary, installed last week as the nation’s top diplomat, said the New START extension presaged further efforts on nuclear proliferation. The U.S., Blinken said, will “also pursue arms control to reduce the dangers from China’s modern and growing nuclear arsenal.”